Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Everyday Humiliations

I picked The Boy up at school the other day, just like I've done hundreds of other times. As we were leaving I heard the pounding of small feet approaching so I closed the gate behind me. I turned as we were getting in the car and saw a boy - the presumed source of the noise - and his mom as they were leaving.

I smiled and said, "Oh sorry. Didn't mean to close the gate on you, it's just that I heard little feet running up behind me."

The mom looked at me and said, as though I was a child myself, "Well we usually DO like to keep the gate closed so good job." Then she pursed her lips, crinkled her nose and gave me a fake, vacant smile as she carried on through the parking lot with her kid.

As I strapped The Boy into his car seat I could feel my neck and ear getting hot and my eyes tingling, a sign that I didn't know whether I was mad or sad. The short drive home, when I was replaying the whole 30 second exchange over and over in my head, led me to believe that it was definitely anger I was feeling.

I'm over it now.

Then this morning, The Boy's first ever last day of school, I went to leave after dropping him off and my sweet boy went to hold the gate open for me. There was a crowd of parents and kids waiting to get in so he held the gate open for them while I waited beside him, smiling and saying hi. Then I notice a perfectly able bodied cow stepping out of a black Lexus SUV, one without a disabled placard or plates, walk through the gate with her spawn and look down at me like I was something stuck to her shoe.

The thing is this wench ALWAYS parks in the disabled spot, probably because it's 'just for a sec' while she drops her kid off. Well guess what, lady, EVERYONE is dropping their kid/s off. You're not special!

You know who is special? Me! The cripple whose very existence seems to bother you. So stay the hell out of the handicap spots!

No comments:

Post a Comment